You may have caught this story about a building collapse in Albany Park. It was on my block!
Rumors were flying that a leaking or broken gas line caused an explosion. Latest reports suggest a bad and leaking roof caused the collapse.
In any event, reporting faulty conditions is a must. If you smell gas, call 911. If you rent and the building has major defects, tell the landlord you'll take action if issues are not repaired.
Luckily, no one was seriously hurt in the above accident. Presently, the building seriously looks like it was hit by a rocket... nothing but rubble. The above picture doesn't show the real mess.
Photo from cbs2chicago.com